Saturday, April 3, 2021

A Few Days Can Change Everything

This time of year often makes me ugly cry, way too much, because I think about how hopeless all of Jesus' followers must have felt. Three DAYS is a long time to way for many life altering events - test results for possible cancer diangosis; a partner asking for a few days to decide IF they can move forward in a marriage; a loved one who has gone missing and the search is on...all of these circumstances make my eyes start to tear, and yet, nothing makes my chest feel so tight and weepy that I can hardly breathe as when I think about how Jesus' people felt the 2 days before Easter. 


Could you even imagine - you doubted whether this man was for real, and then when you SAW with your OWN EYES that he is legitimately everything he said he is - and then he tells you he'll be betrayed, he washes your feet, you share a meal together, and then he IS betrayed by one of the men who ATE with you all, one of the men who had his feet washed by JESUS himself...and then he dies the most unthinkable, gruesome death, and he is suddenly just GONE. Dead. He is no more. 




I can't imagine that feeling. I have lost grandperns and enve a childhood friend when I was young, but I have never had such a tragic loss as losing a parent, a child, a sibling, etc. I have never known that depth of pain. And while I can only imagine that feeling, I am completely overwhelmed and almost distraught when I think about how those people much have felt - how they struggled with doubt and to understand the purpose of it all, how they must have felt completely helpless, almost as if their world was about to end... 

The day after Jesus' death must have felt like a bad dream, as though each person was trying to remember the REAL details of what had happened the day before. And at the end of their thoughts, they remembered what Jesus had told them - on the 3rd day, he would RISE up. I can't fathom how one would feel, simultaneously, the greatest despair and the greatest hope. But I suppose that is how many of us feel about our lives. Many of us experience such despair that we don't remember what it is to have HOPE in anything. 

 The last year has been extremely difficult for myself on a deep and very personal level for many reasons. So many adjustments to make, so many issues to work through, so many hurts to heal, so much work to do on MYSELF and so much to think about for the future. Some days were impossible to pray, as I felt so broken and hurt, so angry and overhelmed, judeged and unworthy - filthy. There were days where I wasn't sure how to put one foot in front of the other, but the HOPE that tomorrow wouldn't be as hard as the present day got me to hold out for the next day. 

For Jesus' followers, and even his greatest enemies and doubters, the third day was a day everyone held their breath, to find out if they had been deceived by a great teacher & prophet, or if it was possible they actually encountered the SON of GOD. On that 3rd and final day, those that followed Jesus finally SAW that it wasn't all for nothing. There was a purpose, a reason, a moment that changed the course of life and humanity. 

I pray that if you feel like all is lost, like there is no hope for your situation, whatever you are going through, let me tell you from experience my friend, there is still hope even when you think it's over, when you've tried it all.
I am so incredibly grateful for the beauty that comes from our pain. This is onf of those things that makes us uniquely huma. And I am thankful for a God who keeps His promises, just like He did for 3 days, so many years ago. And those promises don't stop there. We are so loved and adored, wanted and desired. I know a big, powerful God who may not be the judgemental, legalistic entity so many of us have known before. He is powerful yet gentle, truthful but kind, loving and wants what is best for each of us. I hope this Easter Sunday brings you peace and hope that so much can change in just a few days. 

Happy EASTER, 

 Laura & Everyone here @ Heart for the Needy

No comments:

Post a Comment