Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Getting' Outta the Funk

This year has really been one for the books. Seriously. The amount of time and energy myself and my team have put into things that are not very rewarding has been the single most frustrating part of it all. I feel like I’m definitely stuck in a rut, in a funk.

We’ve spent a lot of time, energy and money fixing our car. We’ve focused a lot of time and attention on paperwork, procedures, and how to make sure we are doing alllll the things that will give our kids & communities that we work with the BEST of what we can offer.

Somehow, in all the planning, running around and pushing to make sure things run smoothly, the very essence of WHY I love working in this beautiful country gets pushed to the back burner or completely lost. And it breaks my heart.

I often see posts on social media about how it’s okay for us to grieve the life we THOUGHT would be, and then we have to get up, wipe away the tears, and jump back into the life we DO have. For me, that has really hit me hard this week.
 
The sweetest little reasons to slow down
Being a “director” is so unglamorous and nothing like I had thought many, many years ago. I never wanted a glamorous job but I simply want to do one thing: make a difference. I want the kids we serve and the communities where we work to be empowered, inspired and motivated to overcome even the most unthinkable challenges.

I know that difficulties and unforeseen junk can throw us off track, so I guess I’m glad it’s bothered me so much lately because I can now DO something to fix this. I wanna do homework with the kids, teach them how to wash dishes, play outside with them, and pour into them so they know how loved & valued they truly are.

I also know this isn’t a one man (or lady) show and I’ve got to rely on those around me that I trust. So I’m learning to loosen the reigns so that I can be able to take a break when needed, and I can train & give more responsibilities to my team.

I’m far from being a great director. I’m more like a zoo keeper who lost her monkeys but hey, I haven’t misplaced any kids so I think I’m doing okay?

Keep me in your thoughts & prayers as I learn to balance it all and get outta the funk!


Hugs,



Laura and the munchkins

No comments:

Post a Comment